Friday 14 July 2017

The Marietta DeGrant Interview: Hondred Percent and His WTF Album


Anyone can do spoken word just the same way anyone can dance. As to whether you will be exceptional is something that only you can answer. If it’s your gift, it will come naturally and even then it’s good to watch others in their art and learn from as many resources as possible.
-Paul Forjoe Jnr aka Hondred Percent 

Hello world! You are welcome back to the blog to read another post on The Marietta DeGrant Blog. Today, we have a Marietta DeGrant interview with a spoken word gentleman and he goes by the stage name; Hondred Percent.

Marietta: Can you please tell us the story behind your stage name?

Hondred Percent: Now that I think about it, I guess I was destined to have the name Hondred Percent as I don't believe in coincidence.

The name came about in 2010 as I contemplated on a stage name to use back in Ghana as I share the same name with my father. What resulted was Hondred Percent (Which was previously Hundred Percent and was edited in 2016 to the current spelling).

My stage name is a testament and challenge to both my audience and self to strive for truth and greatness in whatever you do.

Marietta: When did you start doing spoken word poetry?

Hondred Percent: 2005 in South Africa

 Marietta: Which do you personally prefer? Written word or Spoken Word?

Hondred Percent: Spoken Word

 Marietta: Tell us your first experience with spoken word on stage

Hondred Percent: I was nervous. I was in a different country, trying a relatively different art form that I believed was a part of me. It was different and rewarding because I was accepted by the community as a poet.


 Marietta: Now let’s talk about your most recent Spoken Word project WTF? What’s up? What inspired you to write such mind opening poetry? Tell us all about it.

Hondred Percent: Creating an album has been a dream come true. If I made all the money in the world and did not have an album to my name I would not feel fulfilled....... Since the album is out now I guess I'll switch to making money (just kidding) πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

I grew up misunderstood. For the longest time I thought I had to conform only to realize that it was society that wasn't conforming to the natural order of things. I realized after a long while that it's okay to be different and not fit in and that it doesn't make you weird but rather special.

The album WTF? is my way of saying to the world that just because I'm different doesn't mean that I'm bad or wrong. I do this by painting society today with poetry and rap to reflect some pertinent issues that we take for granted.

In a nut shell I call out our hypocrisy as a nation and ask whether this is how we want our future to be like

 Marietta: Which piece in the album is your personal favourite?

Hondred Percent: It’s between the outro-WTF? and BNS Remix


Marietta: What inspired you to write gidigidi? Is it bad to be naturally gidigidi? (Also, define your understanding of gidigidi…lolz xx) 😏

Hondred Percent: I was inspired by an instrumental by DJ Julz which was titled gidigidi.

 Is it bad to be naturally gidigidi? Hmmmm...... all I'll say is that too much of anything is bad. Its neither good nor bad but must be controlled.

Gidigidi to me has multiple meanings. I see it as a Ghanaian adverb or adjective that is used to describe attitude, passion or the present state of an entity.

Depending on how it is used it could be perceived as good or bad.

Marietta:  Do you think if Africa could send a WhatsApp message, Africans would read and be more conscious of the things happening around them?

Hondred Percent: I believe so but to ensure that the message is well received it should be accompanied by a striking video that is laced with humor, shorter than 2 minutes and less than 50 MB.


Marietta:  Is it advisable for Pastors who want to preach against swear words to actually mention those words while preaching?

Hondred Percent: I believe so. Truth be told these are just words. It’s we humans and our interpretation that make them swear words. The words fool and stupid have both been used in contexts where they have communicated extreme displeasure than some so called swear words.

We need to realize that these words originated from somewhere. Understanding its origins and being honest about it helps in comprehension. For all you know these words may feel misunderstood.

 Marietta: What are the reviews regarding WTF? Are they finding any controversy?

Hondred Percent: Not many thorough reviews have come my way but the general consensus is that it's a good album. It’s not found controversy yet but I am hoping for some in the future.

 Marietta: What are you working on right now?

Hondred Percent: I'm working on my next album titled LISX. The only thing I will say now is that it will include features. πŸ˜‰

 Marietta: Let’s get into your personal life a little. What do you do apart from Spoken Word?


Hondred Percent: I have a 9-5(more like a 9 till forever lol) 😁that occupies most of my life. Aside that I have entrepreneurial interests I am exploring.

 Marietta: Please share with us your writing routine.

Hondred Percent: I don't really have one. It’s kinda like playing Pokemon Go. Sometimes inspiration hits you and you go with it. 

I could however say that when inspiration hits, seldom do I finish a piece at a sitting. It usually takes months or so to find inspiration again and pick up from where I last left of. This goes on and on till the piece is done. After which some edits come again as I go through the whole piece.


Marietta: What does it take to do Spoken Word poetry? Any advice for someone like me, who is shy to start and thinks he/she does not have the right voice to participate.

Hondred Percent: Anyone can do spoken word just the same way anyone can dance. As to whether you will be exceptional is something that only you can answer. If it’s your gift, it will come naturally and even then it’s good to watch others in their art and learn from as many resources as possible. 

My tip is to be creative and think outside the box. Think Key soap and Golden Tree met at a bar.

 Marietta: Social media handles please

Hondred Percent: Everything of mine is @hondredpercent

My website is www.hondredpercent.com

Thank you so much Paul for honouring this interview. we can't wait to hear your next album

For more inquires about The Marietta DeGrant Interview, please send an email to degrantm@yahoo.com.


Read other Marietta DeGrant Interviews below

That Guy Called ShayD

Rojayjay's Interviews and Posts : Here, here and here

Krizick

Khemikal

Rita Fashion Designer



Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? You are definitely my sunshine.
Love ya :) I would reply as soon as possible.

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace