Tuesday 13 December 2016

Christmas Novel + Movie Review


Last year, I did a Christmas movie review of It’s aWonderful Life. I wanted to do a Christmas novel review this time around. I even wanted to write on my favourite festive novel, Christmas After All, but I will save the best for the last. So, I decided to write the review on Christmas novel I recently read, in the early days of November; Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.


I recently watched Christmas with the Kranks and it was a very interesting movie. I loved and enjoyed it, and it was hilarious. The beginning of the movie looked familiar. I had seen that scene somewhere before. As the opening credits were appearing on the screen and I saw that the movie was based on Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. I said Bam! I was watching the movie with my mom and she asked, Is that the story that John Grisham deviated? I said Yeah! That’s the one! I will tell you why I said John Grisham deviated. Probably at the end.

So, this post is more of a fusion of a novel review and a movie review. And I think this is the first of its kind.



I know John Grisham to be an author who loves writing about stories surrounding the law. I expected Skipping Christmas to be the same. The couple would go on the cruise they planned on going, a crime would happen there at the vacation spot, and the lawyers start flying in.

That was my expectation as I read on and on.

But, I was wrong.

Oh why, John Grisham? Why?

That’s why I said he has deviated.

It’s not that he did not write it well oo. He deviated from the normal, which is good if you ask me.
I mean, sometimes, we need something different. But I wasn’t expecting it, because the books he even writes for children contains law.

All right, I loved the book. It was hilarious, and I could actually imagine Luther and his wife, and the neighbourhood.

Such a festive neighbourhood. I wish I lived there, with my husband and kids.


Anyway, so I recognized some faces in the movie, especially Jamie Lee Curtis. I recognized her from scream Queens as Dean Munch.

She is very hilarious.

I loved the movie too. Very funny movie.




But I liked the book more. Maybe, because I am more of a bookaholic than a movieholic.

Movieholic? Is that even a word?

Haha. Never mind.

The way I imagined the neighbourhood was more beautiful than the one in the movie. That means, I have a good imagination.

Yep.

I’ll give the book 4.1 out of 5.0 stars, and a 4.0 out of 5.0 stars for the movie.

Have you read Skipping Christmas? What do you like/hate about it?

What about the movie version of it, Christmas with the Kranks? What do you like/hate about it?

Which one did you enjoy more? The book, or the movie?




Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? You are definitely my sunshine.
Love ya :) I would reply as soon as possible.

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace