Wednesday 10 August 2016

Book Talk: Women Who Run with the Wolves


 Hello world. How is your day?

Today, I have a book review to share with you. Before I write my review, let me tell you a story.
More than fifteen years ago, this book laid on the shelf, and it scared the heck out of me. The title of the book even frightened me. I mean, women running with wolves? They must be very powerful and wild.

I never attempted to read the book. How can I even hold it? Funnily enough, the book was used for so many things, as a support for TV antennas and other things.

Then, in the year 2016, I decided to read it, and I planned to read it during the long vacation. Then I fell in love with it. It is about women finding their wild soul. Within every woman, there is a creative soul, wisdom, powerful force, and a yearning for the wild. The book teaches women to connect with their fierce side, because it is a very important aspect of women.

And that’s how I got to appreciate the book. I used one month to read the book, the whole month of July, which is so unlike me. I had impromptu errands to run, and other tasks to perform, so I never had enough time for the book. Later on, I realized the book is to be studied, not just read, so I am okay with using a month to read the book.


The word, wild here is not used in its modern pejorative sense, meaning out of control, but in its original sense, which means to live a natural life, one in which the creature has innate integrity and healthy boundaries.

The book is so poetic, I love the words, and phrases. I dream of writing a book like this, with such poetic words. There are so many quotes in this book, I could not journal all. I wanted to highlight my favourite lines, but it belongs to the family, so I am not allowed to do that. If it was personally mine, I would have changed the inside into a rainbow.

I learnt a lot from the book. Before I read it, mummy and I were talking about how women are so strong in everything and are very important in the society, and the book talked about that. Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D. talked about women and compared us to the lifestyle of wolves, in a very amusing way.

I do not know why I did not read this book a year or two ago, but it is worth it. 

The book taught me
  • Never to give up
  • Addiction is not good
  • Be proud of your body
  • Build upon your creativity
  • Get rid of negativity
  • Patience and forgiveness are very important.

We should write a book like this about African women. That would be so cool. If you plan on starting to write a book like this and you need help, you can call me. I’ll help you write it.

I have uploaded a video on my YouTube channel (Yes, I have a YouTube Channel now at long last) I am talking a lot about the book, so head over there to watch it.


P.S GENERAL WOLF RULES FOR LIFE
Eat
Rest
Rove in between
Render loyalty
Love the children
Cavil in moonlight
Tune your ears
Attend to the bones
Make love
Howl often
Have you read the book before? Please let’s talk about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? You are definitely my sunshine.
Love ya :) I would reply as soon as possible.

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace