Monday 9 January 2017

A Letter to my 17 year old self


Hello world, and happy 2017 to you all.

This is our first official post of 2017. Whenever I hear 2017, I think of my 17 year old self. Like how I thought of living a sweet sixteen life when I hear 2016.

But 2016 is gone. We won’t meet it again.

Today, I have written a letter to my 17 year old self. When I was 17, I was in secondary school, studying science and wearing heavy glasses. Not like the cute ones I am wearing now.

I imagine myself having a chat with my 17 year old self. I imagined what I would tell her, and how she would looked at me and be amazed. I am not saying she would be surprised at how I have changed or anything, but she would be amazed at how far I have come, in life. I haven’t achieved anything extraordinary, but I am still strong and moving forward.

This is a letter to my 17 year old self.

Dear 17-year old Marietta,

You are reading a letter from a future Marietta who is in her early twenties. Yes, she hasn’t changed a bit, and don’t worry about the hairstyle she is wearing now. You’ll love it when you get here.

You made New Year resolutions when you were 17. Trust me when you get here, you will stop making New Year Resolutions. One of them was to not fall into Mrs. Ghanson’s trap. But you fell into her trap by knelling down because you were late for Monday morning assembly. Fortunately for you, you escaped after the assembly.

You made another New Year resolution to study when no teacher was in class. That was a fail (maybe, not 100%). Instead, you always took your notebook to write bad poetry. Don’t worry, you start blogging to write more bad poetry when you get here, so feel free.

Do not worry if your Physics grade is not good. You won’t be studying Physics when you get here, but take your elective math serious. You’ll meet Calculus again.

Some of the friends you have made in school would no longer like to keep in touch when you graduate from secondary school. Do not worry about it. Try and look at their faces one more time, because you won’t hear from them again. That’s how life is.

Do not be too excited to turn 18. Enjoy your 17 year old self because when you get here, you’ll like to be 17 again. Also, save money. It’s very important.

Do not be worried about anything, do not be angry with life. Life over here, though bittersweet, is getting better. He answers prayers, and helps you get through life. Do not worry about what to do in the university. When you turn 18, you’ll know your passion and you’ll be studying the course you applied for with all of your heart.

Be patient, and don’t worry.

Best wishes,
2017 Marietta.

Let’s Chat: If you were to meet your 17-year old self today, what would you tell him/her?

p.s. Mrs. Ghanson, former Senior Housemistress (Mfantsiman Girls' Secondary School)


Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? You are definitely my sunshine.
Love ya :) I would reply as soon as possible.

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace