Wednesday 14 September 2016

The Other Side of a Writer


I recently finished reading one of Roald Dahl’s books; The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More and it made me fall in love with his writings more. The first Roald Dahl book I read was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I was amazed at how he could make our imaginations travel.
In Lucky Break (How I Became a Writer), which is part of The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More, he described a writer he met; C.S. Forester. He wrote

………..there are two distinct sides to a writer of fiction. First, there is the side he displays to the public, that of an ordinary person like anyone else, a person who does ordinary things and speaks an ordinary language. Second, there is the secret side, which comes out in him only after he has closed the door of his workroom, and is completely alone. It is then that he slips into another world altogether, a world where his imagination takes over and he finds himself actually living in the places he is writing about at that moment. I myself, if you want to know, fall into a kind of trance, and everything around me disappears. I see only the point of my pencil moving over the paper, and quite often two hours go by as though they were a couple of seconds.

I wanted to scream at Roald Dahl and tell him YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT, ROALD!!!! Because what he wrote was very true. You see writers as ordinary people who wear ordinary clothes and live ordinary lives in an ordinary neighbourhood, in an ordinary house and speak an ordinary language.
But, let him be in his room alone. The room where he writes, and give him a pen and paper. He is completely in another world. Words are floating around his head, but you cannot see it.
I experience that a lot. When I get overdose of inspiration, I fall into that trance.

Any other writer who has experience that?


P.S. Don’t forget to vote (Details on the image below)


No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? You are definitely my sunshine.
Love ya :) I would reply as soon as possible.

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace