Friday 15 January 2016

Book Review: No Sweetness Here


Hello everyone! Sorry, I have not been able to post lately. A loved one has been ill for a long time, and I was disturbed. She is getting better now, thanks to my Heavenly Father and prayers of loved ones. Thanks to Sadia, Thomas, Papacy and Aikon for taking care of her.

Due to this situation, I finished reading this novel late, but I am finally done, end I enjoyed it.
No Sweetness Here is a book of short stories written by Ama Ata Aidoo. There are eleven stories in all and they were beautifully written. They are stories about the Ghanaian society issues, and one thing I love about the book is that, though they were written in the 1960s, we can relate to it in the 21st century Ghana.

The short stories include Everything Counts, For Whom Things Did Not Change, In the Cutting of a Drink, The Message, Certain Winds from the South, No Sweetness Here, A Gift from Somewhere, Two Sisters, The Late Bud, Something to Talk About on the Way to the Funeral, and Other Versions.

It was difficult to pick a favourite and a least favourite. Maybe, I’ll choose In the Cutting of a Drink or The Message or oh, Two Sisters too was good. My least favourite was No Sweetness Here. Okay, it was not my least favourite, but it is a story I wish not to read again because there was no happy ending, and the woman lost everything.



Though, there are spelling mistakes and other errors, which might be the fault of the Publisher/Printing Press, these collection of short stories is one of the best I have read. I might even consider writing a book of short stories like this.

I’ll give it a 4 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? You are definitely my sunshine.
Love ya :) I would reply as soon as possible.

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace