I have a huge announcement to make. (To me, it’s huge. Some of you might have done this before).
I’m going to feature on a radio show! On Citi FM
And I’m freaking out.
First, I was like
- I'm gonna be a celebrity
- My next boyfriend would be known as the celebrity's boyfriend
- Hello world, I'm the next Maya Angelou
Then I went on feeling like
OMG my stomach ( Nervousness set in ). What am I going to say? How would my voice sound like? What if I do bloopers? Yikes, yikes, yikes.
The Writers Project of Ghana (WPG) is an international literary organization based in Ghana and the United States. WPG was founded in 2009 (as the Ghana Poetry Project) by Martin Egblewogbe and Laban Carrick Hill in order to promote a literary culture in Africa and around the world through creative writing workshops, discussion groups, public readings, online publishing, and the establishment of a small press.
The Writers Project of Ghana is a charitable organization dedicated to helping Ghanaian writers explore and affirm their identity and culture. In order to achieve these goals, WPG is dedicated to reaching out to all Ghanaian writers through our various programs and activities. Currently we offer public readings and poetry recitals, a weekly live-on-air radio program, and writing workshops, among others.
Check out more about them here
So, because I want to be super ready, I checked online tips to be a good radio show guest and I want to share.
- Be early. Get to the place at least 2 hours before the start of the show.
- Have a page of notes. List your key points in bullets so that you won’t forget anything important.
- Speak mindfully. Pay attention to each word that comes out of your mouth. Avoid um, uh, ya know, like etc
- Be careful of what you say. Remember, it is a live coverage.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare
- Relax and enjoy the show.
Have any of you feature on a radio show. Please share your experience and tips.
Wish me luck.
Shimmer and Sparkle,